Sunday, February 21, 2010

then & now


This is what the yard and garden looked like when I was a kid. That's me and my Dad, doing who-knows-what exactly. These days, the driveway is smaller and the shed and outhouse are no more. The garden that was beside the driveway (our current garden is smaller, fenced, and in another part of the yard) is a grassy lawn with a fire pit in the middle. This summer, that will change. I plan to till it into 3' rows and leave enough space in between for our chicken tractor to get through (I think we've settled on the Cluck Truck model. . . that's another story).


This wintry scene is the ol' homestead a few weeks ago. It's hard to visualize patches of sunflowers and buckwheat, peppers and turtle beans, when there's so much frozen everything around, but I know the grass is under there somewhere. Much of it has melted off today since it was nearly 40 degrees F today and I saw that the lilies are starting to poke through the soil. This thaw may put a damper on my planned first-time snowshoeing excursion this week, but overall it is, of course, a very good change indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment