Friday, March 26, 2010

early spring

Last Sunday, the first Sunday of Spring, I planted Coral Shell Peas and Gamma Spinach, both from Turtle Tree. It was lovely and warm for a few days, the soil was surprisingly dry a few inches down, and I was so excited to have started my 2010 garden. Two friends who have far more experience than I do also planted that weekend, so I am reassured about the wisdom of that decision. I was worrying that my strawberries would break dormancy and so yesterday, I took my daughter and 9 year old cousin to Silver Wheel Farm where my friend Lori gave me row cover, wickets, and landscaping staples so that I can plant the strawberries sooner and worry less. I am both thankful for and lucky to know Lori. :)

Needless to say, it snowed last night. I'm sure those bare root plants are just fine.

Back to the trip to Lori's farm: my cousin comes from a family where houseplants aren't allowed, as they could possibly harbor bugs. My aunt would pave the planet if she could get away with it, and they are low-carb crazy. I feel obligated, therefore, to take every available opportunity to expose my cousin to dirt and nature and healthy eating. She was amazed by the ducks and geese that wandered around the farm. She gasped when Lori opened the high tunnel door. She was so excited to see inside the hen house. When her mother came to pick her up, she immediately told her all about it.
Yes, my cousin and my daughter got wet. They got muddy. There was definitely more avian poo on those two kids than I care to think about, but they both had a good time, and learned new things. my aunt has decided to purchase a share in the CSA I manage, and they are trying to buy an existing construction home (five years ago, that never would have happened. It had to be brand new, full of scary chemicals and bereft of personality). I am not solely responsible for this change of heart, of course, but it makes me happy that it has happened, no matter what the reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment