Friday, April 2, 2010

It has arrived

I came home from market on Wednesday, and my lovely new chicken tractor was in the yard! What a great surprise. I called Thursday morning for the remaining balance that I owed, and was so happily surprised. Thank you, George! [Sidenote: my daughter calls Geroge the handyman Curious George and it took weeks for her to understand that he is not, in fact, a monkey.] I will add photos of this later.

I spoke with one of the co-op growers this morning, and he said that this weekend he will be planting turnips, spinach, lettuce, cilantro, radishes, and broccoli rabe outside. I went to his farm recently (Nu Way Farm in Fredonia, PA), and it's truly beautiful. It's fascinating and efficient. There are woodburning stoves throughout the greenhouses and utility building that create warm little alcoves for starting plants. David created a germinator with a kerosene lamp inside to generate heat. So simple, so direct, and very, very efficient. He raises flowers in one of the greenhouses to sell, and so keeps that part open to the public. I plan to take my family there this month just to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment